FREE TRIAL WEEK for KIDS ages 3 – 12 yrs
Follow tick the mandatory agreements below and then proceed to our Kids’ Free Trial Week sign-up form. Once you set up an account, please book 3 classes for the respective age group (3-5y, 6-8y, 9-12y) for the duration of the free trial period. If all desired spots have already been booked, you can choose to remain on a waitlist or message us via your account to reschedule your free trial period and rebook classes.
For Free Trial for Teens ages 13+, please refer to the Adult/Teen Free Trial Page.
Why navigate your Child towards Brazilian Jiu Jitsu?
It is a well-known fact that martial arts contribute significantly to the personal and physical development of all children. They could also be a powerful ally to parents in the arduous task of raising and preparing their heirs to meet the challenges of the real world. In this segment we will explain why we believe Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is the most suitable martial art for your child.
The immediate answer is quite self-evident, but fails to convey the complete scope of benefits and reasons a parent would want to consider. The primary goal of this sport is – to ALWAYS be in control. In this unique system, students learn how to control both their partner, as well as the direction which the fight will follow. Perhaps some of you may know that practitioners of such types of martial arts finish the combat via locks or chokes. What you may not be fully aware of is that the art teaches you how not to have to take matters that far. When it comes to self-defence, our sport provides for the attacker to be neutralized without any damaging consequences to them or you. By applying control and positional dominance correctly, everyone can learn to defend themselves from a larger adversary, without necessarily needing to resort to strikes or dangerous submission finishes. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu offers a wide variety of techniques, ranging from completely safe to potentially causing medium and serious harm. This fact is the very reason our sport is called “The Gentle Art”. It is an extremely effective self-defence system for children in case of an attack by a bully on the playground or at school. Perhaps even some of our own childhood memories may remind us that kids can sometimes act in cruel ways, not always able to control their feelings and actions, or understand the ensuing consequences. So what we advise de-escalation and conflict resolution, we believe in being prepared and equipped if the need should arise.
The beautfy of this sport is underscored by the confluence of the athletic and technical development with moral and spiritual growth. No martial art is worth the training if the only things we gain from it is muscle mass and reflexes. We will enumerate some of the positive qualities and skills that we at “Twisted Kids” strive to instill in our students in parallel to developing their sport and technical level. We believe that the following comprise a huge part of what Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is.
- Self-discipline and love of work. Structure and discipline must be an integral part of the youths’ every day life. Nowadays, too many easy comforts are readily available at arm’s length, so it is more than necessary to include in children’s lives something that teaches them that sometimes they need to push through a life situation on their own. In order to succeed in this, they need to become good at something, which will require them to be committed, consistent, enjoy the work and not give up when processing failure.
- Respect. Participating in training classes requires one to show respect to one’s instructors as well as one’s fellow students. This aspect, once internalized through practice, translates into other areas of life, which is not often seen nowadays.
- Encouraging non-violent conflict de-escalation and resolution. If you think that martial artists are more inclined toward physical altercation, you are widely mistaken. These skewed perceptions are flung upon us by the media and the film industry. Quite the opposite is true. Sparring and daily clashes with reality open one’s eyes to the simple fact that one is human and much could go wrong very quickly or abruptly. The honest understanding of one’s self-defence skills allows one to assess a situation more realistically and calmly, resist denial or over-reacting and face the problem without bias.
- Deeper self-knowledge and higher self-esteem. This comes with accomplishments, and the level rises with each new technique, practiced and applied in live training. The true reward for instructors and the more experienced club members comes from seeing how in time and with accrued skills, kids become more confident, sociable, assertive, and open to new horizons and adventures. Exuding self-esteem, self-knowledge, and confidence in their abilities invariably protects children from falling prey to bullying outbursts or becoming bullying targets themselves.
- Goal setting and pursuit. This is called progress and pushes all of us to move forward, to grow as people and athletes. In our over-active daily life, bombarded with distractions and temptations, the opportunity to be in a place that helps one set and pursue specific, difficult, and rewarding goals is truly priceless.
- The sense of belonging to a community marked with honesty, meaning and camaraderie. We understand basic human nature, and therefore the connection among teammates is one of paramount importance to us. It is important for all of us to feel part of the team, which in time becomes a large family that looks out for and helps one another. The right virtues, which aim to contribute to proper upbringing and morals taught at home, are of unquestionable benefit to every growing young person, who wishes to be a fruitful and positive member of society.
- Last and possibly most important: improving all other areas in one’s life. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu (BJJ) is an incredibly effective instrument for stimulating our human potential. All the above-mentioned benefits jointly contribute toward overall personal growth, which will result in better decision-making all accross the board: at work, alone, in the family, at school, with friends, etc.
It is in pursuit of these virtues that our academy launched its KIDS PROGRAMS as far back as 2013. We believe that we have developed the right approach, attitude and mindset in order to present you and your children with an unforgettable gift for life.
Become part of Twisted Jiu Jitsu and explore our weekly classes in our three KIDS PROGRAMS. For kids over 13 years of age, please refer to the Free Trial Period for adults and teens, which includes our Teen Classes.
You can also check out our full schedule here.
It won’t take long for you to assert that Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is one of the best sports for children today!